Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's Time to Run!!

I haven't posted here for a while. There really aren't that many zumba related things I can think of to talk about. New songs will come every 3 weeks or so, but other than that, I'm a bit of a boring blogger. I guess I could talk about the random things that go through my mind that happen to be exercise related. Here it goes.

They are having instructor auditions at my gym tomorrow. I'm still trying to decided if I want to go. I love to teach, but I dislike having a "boss". You start working somewhere and suddenly they think they own you. You agree to teach one class, but you are often expected to sub for other teachers at ridiculous hours. I am NOT a morning person and 5:30 a.m. is way too early for me. I did work out then when I HAD to (when my kids were very small), but I don't do it anymore. Decisions, decisions.......

I am looking forward to Zumba class tomorrow. I am wondering what we should do about the summer classes. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a mom or two sign up to be on "kid duty" on a rotating basis. That way, things wouldn't get out of control. Maybe we should ask how many people will be bringing small children before we decide. I will bring it up tomorrow during class to see what you all think.

Along my lines of randomness today I have been thinking about my marathon in July. I have been following a great training program. It's called the "Non-runners Marathon Trainer." I really like it so far. The program has you run only 4 days a week and gradually builds you up to a long run of about 20 miles in the weeks before the marathon. I really have been surprised at how great a run can go one day, and how hard it can be the next day. Is it what I eat, how much sleep I get, my music or lack of it? I really wonder. Some days I can run 10 miles and hardly break a sweat. Other days a 4 mile run leaves me drained and panting like a dog! Some days I run an easy 8 minute mile, yet other days I'm closer to a 10 minute mile. Oh.... the insanity of it all!! Many runners go it without a running watch. Maybe it's all the information that is driving me crazy. Would it be better if I didn't ever know how fast I ran? I've even thought about putting the watch on my shoe so I don't drive myself crazy during my run. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow! I'll be sure to keep you all posted. I'm sure you are all just on the edge of your seats, dying to know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. If this is your first marathon, I wouldn't worry about split times. Just concentrate on getting through the experience. Your run performance is definately influenced by food, sleep, hydration, and just plain life. You might look into using GU. I was surprised at how much extra energy it gave me on runs that were not going well. My parents have one before a marathon and one about half way through. Are you running the Salt Lake Marathon? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete